- Teaspoon yeast
- Teaspoon of sugar
- Teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1 cup of water
In a glass jar, mix these ingredients together and cover with a cheesecloth or a loose fitting lid. Every day add an additional teaspoon of sugar and teaspoon of ginger, after around 1 week it’ll be ready to use. You’ll be able to tell as it’ll be fizzy (you’ll see little bubbles) and smell incredible.
To make 10 Liters of ginger beer
- 250g grated fresh ginger
- 100g dry ginger
- Teaspoon of chili flakes
- Teaspoon of peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Desert spoon of cloves
- 1 kg sugar
- 10 liters of water
- 6 lemons
- Make 3 liters of tea with all ingredients, except sugar and lemon.
- Boil for 1 hour and let cool.
- Dissolve in the sugar and add the juice of 6 lemons – add another 7 litres to this brew to bring it up to around 10 liters.
- Once it’s cooled down, add the mother. In terms of how much of it you add, you can put 90% of the liquid (almost one cup). You can then add more water and keep feeding it to keep it going for the next batch (if you choose).
- Bottle into old soft drink or beer bottles, we prefer glass bottles.
- It will be ready in 2 days and it’s best to drink it all within 7 days.
- Invite mates over and drink!
This simple ferment is just so wonderful on a range of levels. Not only do they taste great, making your own cuts out the need for fizzy drinks from the shop – another thing you can do to reduce hanging out in the supermarket – enjoy!