A part-time Permaculture Design Course to get you living the good life.
Based at the Sustainable Learning Centre, Hobart, this part-time Permaculture Design Course runs in four-day blocks across three weeks. Classes run from 8:45am – 5pm each day with some occasional (fun) homework.
- Week 1: January 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 8:45am – 5pm each day
- Week 2: January 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 8:45am – 5pm each day
- Week 3: January 29th, 30th, 31st, 1st February, 8:45am – 5pm each day.
- Please note, this is a non-residential course so students need to arrange their own accomodation.
I loved this course. It hasn’t just changed my outlook on life – it’s changed my life (Anita).
THIS COURSE COVERS
- Permaculture ethics & principles
- Design theory and practical application
- Systems thinking
- Patterns understanding
- Water management, in the home and in the land
- Soil health: How to improve and maintain it
- Cropping systems: food production, seed saving and integrated pest management
- Alternative economics
- Energy systems
- Social permaculture
- Food forests
- Sustainable building design.
Just wonderfully fun. So well coordinated (always on time, always organised), experience of a lifetime, truly life changing. Thank you so much (Nysha).
Great! A life changing experience and a very good start for living a more conscious life and be the change (Maria).
WHO SHOULD DO THIS COURSE?
This PDC is for farmers, urban gardeners, perennial renters, community development workers, sustainability officers, university students, students of life, market gardeners and big thinkers. Permaculture is relevant and useful to you whether you’re working in the paddock or in the office, you’ll become equipped with thinking tools to design properties *and* the life you’ve always wanted!
WHAT THE PDC IS NOT…
First and foremost, the PDC is a design course. It is not a hands on course where you actively get to grow food, build a house or ferment food… Although we do get our hands dirty either fermenting food or getting into the garden. This means that while we will cover a large range of practical topics (i.e. building, gardening), we will not focus on teaching you the practical skills for each one. Rather, we’re committed to teaching you foundation knowledge for each topic so you can create designs which are integrated, appropriate and darn clever. You can read about some of our previous PDCs here & here. If you’d like to learn how to learn some hands-on, practical skills – have a look at some of the exciting short workshops we’ve got coming up..
Inspiring. Empowering. Life changing. I feel like the course brought together so many big picture things I had been worrying about and gave me a framework not only to make sense of them but to do something about it. This transformation from focussing on problems to having a positive and practical way to move forward is so awesome. I feel totally inspired to live in a more connected way, starting with my home and community, knowing that some amazing positive changes can flow on from this. Also great to connect with a bunch of likeminded people. So much fun. Thank you (Jessamy)..
AS PART OF YOUR COURSE FEE YOU RECEIVE…
- Delicious and nutritious vegetarian catering (vegetarian lunches and morning/afternoon snacks)
- Course resources
- Field trips to local properties featuring clever design in action
- A one year membership to Permaculture Australia
- A whole bunch of new permaculture friends and networks
“So wonderfully inspiring- the most practical and enlightening course I’ve ever done :)” Lucy..
THE TEACHING TEAM
YOUR LEAD TEACHER: Hannah Moloney has over 15 years of hands-on experience in designing, building, managing and doing projects around urban agriculture, small-scale farming, permaculture and community development. In 2015 she was awarded the Tasmanian ‘Young Landcare Leader Award’ for her work with Good Life Permaculture and co-establishing Hobart City Farm. In 2018, she took part in the Tasmanian Leader’s Program and in 2019 started appearing as a guest presenter with Gardening Australia on ABC TV (dream gig – you can see some of her stories here) and featured in the Women Of The Island project. When she’s not working on other people’s gardens and farms, she’s working on her own, teaching and designing educational tea towels.
Nick Towle is a passionate advocate for sustainability and permaculture and brings a diverse set of skills to the course including home-based sustainability practices and community economic systems. His most recent permaculture adventure has involved establishing the RESEED Trust, a two acre urban property in the heart of Penguin (NW Tasmania) which is being developed into a permaculture demonstration site and sustainability education centre.
.Anton Vikstrom is a sustainability specialist with experience in urban agriculture, renewable energy, international development and energy efficiency. Anton completed his Environmental Science degree at the ANU in Canberra and GDip at the University of Sydney. His areas of study included Human Ecology, Geography and Agro-ecology. His research Thesis was on understanding energy flows through urban agricultural systems. Since then he has worked with The Alternative Technology Association, Cultivating Community and Tasmania’s very own Sustainable Living Tasmania. In addition to his deep professional experience he has a wealth of knowledge of practical sustainability, from off-grid solar power, carpentry, and landscaping to brewing, fermenting, kite making and sewing..
Thanks for being awesome! Thanks also for the shared life-experiences/knowledge of the teachers. One thing that really stood-out for me was the “people care” of the students, and everyone really, throughout the two weeks. I have never before experienced this in the many workshops, courses and places of learning/study that I have attended. My wish is that such a thing becomes the “normal” way of being – YEAH!
This Permaculture Design Course is being held at the Sustainable Learning Centre, 50 Olinda Grove, Mt Nelson. This venue is a short 5 minute drive from Hobart City and a wonderful example of sustainability in action.
ONE FULL PDC SCHOLARSHIP ON OFFER!
Applications have now closed for this year’s scholarship.
We provide nutritious and delicious vegetarian food and can cater for a large range of dietary needs with wholesome, locally sourced and organic food where possible.
WHY STUDY WITH GOOD LIFE PERMACULTURE?
- We are Tasmania’s expert permaculture education provider, committed to facilitating meaningful and high quality learning processes for our students. We have REALLY applied our heads, hearts and hands to create this course to be one of the best permaculture adult education experiences available.
- Our teachers are amongst the most experienced and passionate in Australia. You will always have at least one professional permaculture designer/practitioner on site at all times.
- We are committed to ensuring our students are equipped with the best start possible to being competent and effective designers and practitioners.
- We feed your mind with a huge array of top quality content. We also feed your body with delicious and nutritious food for the whole course. Where possible we source local and organic foods to support Tasmanian growers and producers.
- Upon completion of the course, you’ll be on your way to being a professional permaculture designer (if this interests you), be able to teach on a permaculture design course and continue studying towards your permaculture diploma, anywhere in the world. Cool hey!.
It was amazing! More than what I hoped for. So grateful to have had the opportunity to learn from Hannah and the team! (Manuela).
If you’d like to establish a payment plan so you can pay the course fee over a period of months we’re very happy to work with you to create that. We ask that people set up this plan prior to the course, so that the fee is paid in full be the time the course commences. Please contact us to discuss.
Prior to Wednesday 2nd December 2020, we ask that you give us two weeks notice if you choose to step out of the course; we’ll provide a refund, minus the deposit fee. After that date, we will not be able to offer a refund. Alternatively, you can pass your place onto a friend or family member or choose to use this as credit towards one of our future courses. If we have to cancel the course due to Covid-19, we’ll provide a refund immediately, minus the deposit.
Please note, this course will be run in accordance to Covid-19 guidelines recommended at the time. If you are unwell with flu like symptoms we ask you to please not attend the workshop – contact us beforehand to discuss options.