A day for the beginner and intermediate brewer where you get to see, do, talk and taste everything home brew. You’ll leave this day knowing how to brew your own beer and cheer from scratch – setting you up for a life of happiness (and significant savings).
Ready to book in? Just scroll down to the bottom of this page and go for it!
You’ll get to…
- Hear about and see different approaches to brewing,
- Do a partial mash,
- Do a complete full mash beer,
- Bottle beer,
- Discuss the process as we do the brewing, rather than lots of talk and chalk, and
- Sample some brews through the day – in a safe and responsible kind of way.
Who should come to this workshop?
We’ve designed this workshop for the beginner and intermediate brewer. So if you’ve never brewed a beer in your life or just looking for some extra information and inspiration this is the perfect day for you.
- The Sustainable Home Brewing book by Amelia Slayton Loftus – a really, really good book we think you need.
- Course refreshments: We’ll provide a tasty morning and afternoon tea (and hot drinks). Lunch is BYO – we invite participants to bring a plate of food to share with the group. This is a whole lot more fun and sociable than just bringing your own sandwich.
- Sample sips of home brew throughout the day and a beer at the end to say “cheers”. Please note as people will be driving, all drinking will be kept to a safe and responsible level.
- Enthusiastic teaching, networks and company for the day (and most likely beyond).
Your brewing guides
Tim Bowden: For almost a decade Tim lived in the United States enjoying the delicious beers and explosion of the craft beer scene. He realised that he probably couldn’t get those flavours back home in Tasmania, so thought he’d better learn how to brew them himself. Tim dove in head first to All Grain brewing and talked to brewers, watched videos, took short university brewing courses and even did an internship at a craft brewery. He then built himself a simple little home brew system and have been churning through batches and experimenting ever since. Tim’s *so* good that he won both the brewers choice and peoples choice awards in the 2014 Tasmanian Battle of the Brews. His current brewing projects are in the dark art of ageing sour beers.
Anton Vikstrom: After many, many years of brewing Anton recently started growing his own hops and actually following recipes. As a result, his beer has graduated to a new and wonderful level where even his wife (who doesn’t drink beer) has started having the occasional bottle as it’s just so darn tasty. Bringing a “can-do and keep-it-simple” approach to brewing, Anton is a star at using what you’ve got to create fabulous beers (no kitchen utensils are safe any more).
Venue & course times
This course runs from 10am – 4pm at the Sustainable Learning Centre, 50 Olinda Grove, Mt Nelson.
If you want to learn how to brew from scratch *right now* or just get inspired, have a read of our blog here showing you how.
There are no refunds available for this course. If you can’t make the day we encourage you to pass your place onto a friend or family member – which shouldn’t be too hard as it’s a home brew workshop!