Want to learn how to make simple, nutritious and delicious ferments in your own home?
We’ve designed this practical, hands-on learning experience just for you, showing you how to make:
- Tempeh (soybeans inoculated and fermented with rhizopus spores),
- Sauerkraut and kim chi (both wild ferments based on salt and cabbage),
- Pickles (with vegetables),
- Country wine (using seasonal fruits),
- Sourdough bread, and
Skills that will be useful for the rest of your days! We’ll also feed you a delicious and nutritious lunch featuring all things fermented from locally sourced, chemical-free and homegrown produce.
- A jar of sauerkraut which you’ll make on the day,
- A tempeh kit (tempeh spores, soybeans and instructions) so you can make your own at home,
- A sourdough starter,
- A scrumptious lunch where we’ll feed you with as many fermented things we can make, and
- Extensive notes on how to start or keep fermenting food for the rest of your life.
Over the past 12 years, Anton Vikstrom has dappled, explored and has now completely integrated ferments into his daily life. There is always something bubbling on his kitchen bench or in the pantry and always unique and scrumptious smells wafting through the air. He especially enjoys teaching the fermentation process as it should be, simply. He breaks the processes down into easy steps so that anyone, yes anyone, can get fermenting – anywhere, any time. That’s him in the photo with a bunch of homegrown hops used to make homebrew! You can read more about him here.
Margaret Steadman is a local sustainability maven and makes a wicked sourdough loaf. Specialising in ‘keeping it simple’, she’ll step you through the basics of how to make amazingly delicious sourdough, share some of her starter with you and feed you with her bread as part of lunch. Her deep and passion for living life simply and well is so contagious that’ll you’re all going to fall in love her, just a bit! ,
Venue & Times
This course is being held at the very wonderful Sustainable Learning Centre at 50 Olinda Grove, Mt Nelson and runs from 10am – 4pm.
Sourdough starters being shared around and some rather delicious fresh tempeh!
Look no further than Sandor Katz and his Wild Fermentation website – enjoy!
There are no refunds available for this course. If you’re unable to make it we encourage you to pass your place onto friends or family.